Because of Chad...

This post originally appeared on Carrie's personal blog on November 21st, 2006

Your 2006 NASCAR Nextel Cup Champion, Jimmie Johnson!

Anyone that knows me knows how happy it makes me to finally be able to say that. Jimmie's the champ. Jimmie's the champ!

God, it still chokes me up and makes me giddy. I'm sitting here waiting to watch his appearance on Letterman tonight and contemplating what a strange trip it has been for me as a fan to watch Jimmie's own trip to the top.

I hated Jimmie on principle the minute he set foot in the Cup series. I didn't know a thing about him but he was Jeff Gordon's protégé. I just knew I would hate him if Jeff liked him and hired him. Actually getting to see him and listen to him those first few months made me realize he wasn't a bad guy and I could tolerate him. Like him? Oh hell no! But I could tolerate him. Then something very funny, to me at least, happened one night.

It was the Bristol night race of Jimmie's rookie year. Robby Gordon, who had become my new favorite driver months earlier, wrecked Jimmie out of the race on a restart. Jimmie, the man who was supposed to be Jeff Gordon's Mini-Me aka perfect and controlled, flipped out... and flipped Robby off right there for the whole world to see. I've never laughed so hard in my life at any other racing-related event. From that one flash of real, raw, unrestrained show of emotion, Jimmie Johnson won me as a fan.

After that night, I started trying to find out about Jimmie's history as a racer and what I found drew me in even more. Like my guy Robby, Jimmie grew up racing motorcycles and off-road vehicles in Southern California. Another point in his favor. I also discovered Jimmie's working class roots. He wasn't someone who was ever handed anything and he and his family had to work hard to race. I discovered a very humble, very self-deprecating, all around good guy in Jimmie who loves his friends and family and I really don't believe the man has a mean bone in his body.

Has he made mistakes on the track? Yes but who hasn't? I could name five or six guys who are ten times worse and, for some reason, they don't get half the crap people dish out to Jimmie. I just don't understand that. I don't understand the downright viciousness that gets spewed in gets spewed in the direction of Jimmie and the Hendrick organization as a whole. But that's a different blog post for a different time.

I've also developed an affinity for Jimmie's crew chief, Chad Knaus. Yeah, he's cheated. There is no getting around that and, unlike fans of a certain driver whose crew chief has also been busted for cheating many time *cough*Harvick*cough*, I don't look at that cheating any differently just because it was my guys crew chief that got busted. Nor do I hold the same grudge against Todd Berrier, or any other crew chief that's been busted, that they hold against Chad. I don't hold any grudge whatsoever because it's not my place when those crew chief's have served their penalties as NASCAR saw fit.

Get over it already, people.

Maybe if I didn't like Chad as a person I'd feel differently. I don't know. All I know is that Chad, a very busy man who surely had more important things he could have been doing, has taken time out of his life to thank The Corrupted (Marissa, Denise & I) for something we did for him. He's taken time out of his life to share hugs and offer thoughts and good wishes to us in our lives and make us feel special. He didn't have to do that but he did.

I get angry, yes, when anyone is intentionally cruel or mean when it comes to Chad Knaus. It doesn't work sometimes but I try to hold my tongue when they do. Why? Because I know they just don't get it. I know they don't know any better. But I do know better. It's because of Chad that I cried in happiness when Jimmie crossed the finish line Sunday night. It's because of Chad that I felt as if I were watching a friend's life-long dream come true... and I was.

Congratulations to Chad, Jimmie, the 48 crew, and the entire Hendrick organization for a great season!

-- Posted by Carrie on December 7, 2006

1 comment:

Regina Ellison said...

I echo your sentiment. A couple of years ago I was still reeling from our local track shutting down. With no local racing I turned my attention back to Winston Cup Racing. Jeff Gordon was my favorite driver. Jimmie came along and I can't say that I really liked him. Then in 2004 the company I worked for downsized. I had a lot of time on my hands while looking for a new job. Somehow I stumbled upon the Lowe's racing site and there were pictures of this guy Chad. So, day after day I visited the Lowe's site and the Cheesin Chadwick site (thanks so much to you guys for the site) I particularly loved how Chad took the time to answer the "Ask Chad" questions and how he always took the time to greet his fans. So when Jimmie crossed the finish line as Champ, I was so happy that Chad finally got his wish. That was what made the day special for me.

I want to thank you guys again for everything, because you are right. Back in the day you were the only people around wholeheartedly supporting Chad! Long live The Corrupted's love for Chad!